- PhD (Communication Engineering, Moscow 2000)
- MSc (Satellite Communication, Moscow 1994)
- BSc (RadioEngineering, Moscow 1992)
IEEE | COREN | IAENG | FSAN | FCIA | FIMC
5th VC | Head, IoT-Enabled Smart and Connected Communities Research
Electrical and Information Engineering
Awards & Honours
- National Research and Education Network Ambassador, West and Central African Research and Education Network (WACREN)
- Fellow, Science Association of Nigeria (FSAN)
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Administration (FCIA)
- Fellow, The Institute of Management Consultants (FIMC)
- The Chattered Institute of Management Accountants’(CIMA) Award of Excellence in Good Leadership and Innovative Research
- Senior Research Fellow, Int’l Association of Research Scholars and Administrators (IARSA)
- Distinguished Communications Engineer’s Award of Excellence, Nigerian IEEE (NIEEE)
- Recipient, CEO of The Year #IAMBRANDNIGERIA Award, In Collaboration with Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria (APCON)
- IEOM Society Distinguished Leadership Award
- IEOM Society Outstanding Educator Award
- Award for Excellence and Leadership, by African Entrepreneurs Foundation, Abuja,
- Nigerian Society of Engineers’ (NSE, Ikeja) Award for Excellence
- Host Professor, Carnegie Africa Diaspora Fellowship
- Ford Foundation Teaching Innovation Award, 2009/2010
- Recipient, International Center for Theoretical Physics (Trieste, Italy) Grant for Workshop on Low-Cost Wireless Networking, AUST, Abuja, October 2010
- Recipient, International Center for Theoretical Physics (Trieste, Italy) Grant for FPGA and VHDL Workshop, Kumasi Ghana, 2005
- Recipient, Federal Government of Nigeria Scholarship: Bureau for External Aide, 1988–1994
- Recipient, Russian Government Scholarship: 1988–1994.
- Digital Communication & Network Management
- Satellite Communications
- Advanced Information Theory & Coding
- Numerical Analysis with Matlab/Scilab
- Transmission of Information
- Special Topics in Information Communication Engineering
- History & Philosophy of Science
- Analogue | Digital | Physical Electronics
- Electric Circuit Theory
- Use of Engineering Software Packages
- Digital Signal | Speech Processing
- Satellite Communications
- Information Theory & Coding Techniques
- Internet Technology & Programming
- Cryptography Principles & Applications
- Digital System Design with VHDL
Current Postgraduate Supervision
- mmWave Massive MIMO Channel Modellingfor Small Cell in Ultra-Dense Network
- Automated Cervical Dilation Assessment Using Low-Light Imaging and CNN
- Development of a Robust Algorithm for Fingerprint Recognition in New Born and Infants
- Participant, THE Emerging Economies Summit, Dubai, UAE, 18-20 October 2021
- Track Chair, The 2021 IEEE 94th Vehicular Technology Conference: VTC2021, 27-30 Sep 2021.
- Speaker, Forum for Innovation in African Universities (FIAU), Centre for African Entrepreneurship and Leadership, University of Wolverhampton, United Kingdom, July 2021.
- Resource Person, 20th Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NES#20): Transforming Education Through Partnership for Global Competitiveness, Design Workshop IV: Tertiary Education – Competitiveness and Employability, 18–20 Mar., 2014, Transcorp Hilton, Abuja, Nigeria.
- Member, Special Advisory Team, Times Higher Education Ranking of African Universities, THE Emerging Economies Summit, December 2016, University of Johannesburg, RSA.
- Invited Delegate, Times Higher Education™ Young Universities Summit and Inaugural 100 Under 50 Rankings, 28th April 2014, Fountainbleau, Miami Beach, FL. USA.
- Discussant, Africa Development Bank (AfDB) Coding4Employment all-female cohort launch, Covenant University, Ota.
- Keynote Speaker, 1st African International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management (IEOM), Pretoria/Johannesburg, South Africa, Oct.2018
- Panelist, The African Society of Cambridge University 5th Africa Together Conference: Pathways to a New Africa, Cambridge Union, University of Cambridge, Jun.2018, Cambridge, U.K.
- Member, King Baudouin Foundation, US, Select group of 30 executives from African universities to “The Art & Science of Fundraising”, New York, Apr.2018.
- Member, MIT J-WEL, Group of global leaders in education for World Education Lab, themed “Learning Communities of the Future”, MIT, Boston, Massachusetts, Mar.2018.
- Member, Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), Round Table on: “The role of faith-based universities in promoting respect”, Liverpool Hope University, Jan 2017, Liverpool, United Kingdom.
- Co-Chair (Africa IoT Roadmap) Africa Workgroup, 2016 IEEE 3rd World Forum on Internet of Things (WF-IoT) 12-14 Dec. 2016, Reston, USA
- Member Program Committee, 27th Int’l Business Information Management Association (IBIMA) Conference, Milan, Italy 4th – 5th May 2016. http://www.ibima.org.
- Member Editorial Board of Engineering & Technology, International Institute of Engineer
- Member Program Committee, International Conference on Internet of Things and Big Data, 23-25 April 2016, Rome, Italy.
- Session Chair, International Conference on Communications Systems and Technologies (ICCST-2015), 21st –23rd October 2015, San Francisco, USA.
- Member Program Committee, 26th Int’l Business Information Management Association (IBIMA) Conference, Madrid, Spain 11th–12th November 2015. http://www.ibima.org.
- Delegate, British Council Going Global 2014: The Conference for Leaders of International Education, Miami Beach Convention Center, Florida, USA.
- Reviewer, Elsevier Editorial System| Hindawi MDPI
- Reviewer, IEEE: Access; Transaction-on-Reliability; Sensors Letters
- Times Higher Education (THE) Emerging Economies Summit, Qatar University, Doha, Qatar, Jan. 2019
- 1st African Int’l Conf. on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management (IEOM), Pretoria/Johannesburg, South Africa, Oct. 2018,
- 3rd Industrial Engineering & Operations Mgt. (IEOM) Society Conference, The University of The District of Columbia, Sep. 2018
- THE World Academic Summit, National University of Singapore, Sep. 2018
- AWARD Leadership Course & Grant Proposal Writing Course, CU, Ota Sep. 2018
- The African Society of Cambridge University 5th Africa Together Conference: Pathways to a New Africa, Cambridge Union, University of Cambridge, UK. Jun. 2018
- THE Emerging economies Summit, Mohammed 5th University, Rabat, Morocco. May 2018,
- King Baudouin Foundation US, ‘The Art and Science of Fundraising’, Rockefeller Center, Greater New York, NY, USA. Apr. 2018
- Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) Gender Workshop 2018, Theme: Mainstreaming Gender in Higher Education: Implications for National Growth and Development, Mar. 2018, Covenant University, Nigeria.
- MIT J-WEL, Group of global leaders in education for World Education Lab, themed “Learning Communities of the future”, MIT, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, Mar. 2018
- Int’l Association of Engineers (IAENG), World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science (WCECS), San Francisco, USA. Oct. 2017
- THE World Academic Summit, King’s College-IET Savoy Place, London, U.K. Sep. 2017
- IAENG World Congress on Engineering (WCE), Univ. of Cambridge, London, U.K. Jul. 2017
- Inaugural THE Innovation Summit, Hong Kong Poly. University, Hong Kong. May 2017
- ACU, Round Table on: “The role of faith-based universities in promoting respect”, Liverpool Hope University, Liverpool, UK. Jan 2017
- THE Emerging Economies Summit, University of Johannesburg, South Africa, Dec 2016
- 3rd Covenant University International Conference on African Development Issues. May 2016
- NIST-USIgnite Global City Teams Challenge/IoT-Enabled Smart City Framework, NIST Campus, Gaithersburg, MD, USA, Mar. 2016
- IAENG World Congress on Engineering 2015, San Fransisco, USA, Oct. 2015
- 3rd Int’l. Conf. on Advances in Computing, Electronics & Communication ACEC 2015, Zurich, Switzerland, Oct 2015
- Inaugural THE Africa Universities Summit, Univ of J’burg, SA. Jul. 2015
- 7th Int’l Conf. on Education and New Learning Technologies EDULEARN 2015, Barcelona, Spain, Jul. 2015
- The Int’l Conf. on Web & Open Access to Learning, Atlantis, The Palm, Dubai, UAE, Nov. 2014
- 7th Int’l Conf. on Education, Research and Innovation ICERI 2014, Seville, Spain Nov. 2014
- 6th Int’l Conf. on Education and New Learning Technologies Edulearn July 2014
- British Council Going Global Conference ‘Global Education: Knowledge-based economies for 21st Century Nations’, Miami Beach Convention Center, Miami Florida USA. Apr. 2014
- Inaugural THE Young Universities’ Summit, Fontainebleau, Miami, Florida, USA. Apr. 2014
- 20th Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NES#20): Transforming Education Through Partnership for Global Competitiveness, Transcorp Hilton, Abuja, Nigeria, Mar 2014
- Int’l Conf. on Computer Science and Applications, World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science (WCECS) San Francisco (SF), USA Oct. 2011
- Int’l Conf. on Signal Processing and Imaging Engineering, WCECS, SF, USA Oct. 2011
- Int’l Conf. on Communications Systems and Technologies WCECS, SF, USA Oct. 2011
- IEEE 2nd International Workshop on Recent Advances in Broadband Access Networks RABAN 2011, co-located with IEEE 11th Int’l Conf. on ITS Telecommunication, St. Petersburg, Russia, Aug. 2011.
- 2nd IEEE Int’l Conf. on Adaptive Science & Technology (ICAST), Accra, Ghana, Dec. 2009
- IEEE ComSoc 16th Telecommunication Forum, Belgrade, Serbia, Nov. 2008.
- Southern African Telecommunications and Applications Conference, Sugar Beach Resort, Mauritius, Sep. 2007.
- Int’l Conf. and Workshop on 3G GSM and Mobile Computing: An Emerging Growth Engine for National Development, Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria, 2007.
- Int’l Conf. on New Trends in Mathematics and Computer Sciences, CU, Ota, Nigeria, 2006.
- IEEE ComSoc Continuing Education for Communication Professionals Course, Title: Wireless for the Internet of Things, (CEUs = 0.3), Online, Oct. 2015
- IEEE1309 NextGen Service Overlay Network (NGSON) Work Group Meeting, IEEE Globecom, Atlanta, GA, USA, [on-line] Dec. 2013
- IEEE ComSoc Continuing Education for Communication Professionals Course, Title: VoLTE – Convergence of IMS-Based Voice and LTE, (CEUs = 0.6), Jul. 2013.
- NUC Workshop for Nigerian Universities on The World Bank-Supported African Centres of Excellence (ACE) Project, NUC HQ, Abuja, Nigeria, Jul. 2013.
- COREN Workshop on Review of Accreditation Scoring Criteria and Benchmark Minimum Academic Standard (BMAS), Rockview Royal, Abuja, May 2013.
- Int’l Center for Mathematical and Computer Sciences (ICMCS) National Conference on Teaching and Research Innovation in Nigerian Universities, Apr. 2012.
- Int’l Center for Theoretical Physics (Italy)–African University of Science and Technology–NUC Workshop on Low-Cost Wireless Networking, AUST, Abuja, Oct. 2010.
- Nigerian Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering Workshop, Abuja, 2009.
- NUC Workshop for Deans and HODs of Electrical Engineering, Abuja, 2008.
- Int’l Federation of Inventors Association (IFIA), 4th Int’l Exhibition of Young Inventors, Yogyakarta, Indonesia, Nov. 2007.
- IFIA, World Cup of Computer-Implemented Inventions (CII), Taipei, Taiwan, Sep. 2007.
- Nigeria Association of Inventors’ 2nd National Young Inventors & Innovators Summit, Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria, 2006.
- Int’l Center for Theoretical Physics (Italy)–Kwame Nkruma University of Science and Technology ICTP-KNUST Regional Microelectronic Workshop on FPGA and VHDL for research and Training in Africa, Kumasi, Ghana, 2005.
Detailed Biographical Info
Atayero is a passionate educationist at the vanguard of the transformation in African Higher Education. He is recognised for contemporary multidisciplinary academic research with special focus on wireless/mobile communications, the Internet of Things (loT) and smart cities. Progressive academia leadership experience developing team members and collaborating regionally and globally to maintain the competitive edge in world-class education. He served as the 5th Vice-Chancellor of Covenant University – The leading Private University in Nigeria. He was the pioneer Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), Coordinator School of Engineering, and twice as HoD of Electrical and Information Engineering of the University.